Monday, November 9, 2015

Tourist for a day


So, this weekend I experienced what is to be a tourist in my own island. I went to a coffee shop located in Condado this weekend and I wanted to buy a muffin. Tourist visit Condado a lot, so I think that they believe me. This coffee shop, called Starbucks, is very visited bye natives and by tourists because it is located in front of a hotel.

When I enter the shop, I started to talk with a Colombian accent. Before I ask for my order, I searched in the internet how Colombian people said "muffin" and they called it "mantecada". So, I said to the employee, "Hola, desearía una mantecada por favor" with the accent.

She treat me very well but she doesn't understand me and ask me again. I laugh so she understood and thought that it was a joke. However, I then explain to her the assignment and she was laughing with me.
After I did the assignment, I walk to Bahia urbana and saw tourists walking around. I really spent a very nice day but I didn't fell like I was a tourist, just an assignment. But, I understand that I people feel different as a tourist in her own island. I feel more like a tourist in places more far from where I live.

So, I think that tourist may be treated better than people who lives in the island. But, it may be influenced by the person who is server.
Also, I agree with Jamaica Kincaid, who express that the native is jealous of the tourist. Tourist have all the money and the time to spent in vacations, but the native have to receive them. However, all of the natives, will be tourist in some time. Also, tourist are natives in some part of the world.
So, I think that tourists are happy but their trip is influenced by the treat of the natives at that place.

3 comments:

  1. I had a very similar expieriece to you, i think this should help us to see how we treat people from other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked what you did. I was laughing to when I did my assignment. It's hard to keep a straight face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your experience, probably should have be a funny experience by just trying not to laugh but nice story though.

    ReplyDelete